Monday, June 16, 2008

Sheer Joy and Love

Laura W from New Mexico writes:
I have been fortunate to know, and have had teachings with many amazing Tibetan Lamas and Rinpoches. Many have inspired my practice, guided me with compassion, and given me heartfelt advice that was invaluable. None of those encounters compare to my encounter with His Holiness Karmapa.

On the Sunday morning that I was in Boulder, the auditorium was packed with loud, enthusiastic people, chatting and laughing. I felt annoyed as the crowd noise continued through the Tibetan Dancers and Nawang Khechog's performance. But, as soon as Ani Pema Chodron walked on stage to announce HH, the room became quiet to me. All I could sense was her emotion, her devotion to HH the 16th Karmapa, and how that devotion was transferred to the 17th Karmapa. My heart began to open at that precise moment.

HH stepped on stage. We could all see that in the beginning, he was searching for words. Then, he made the statement that being able to see everyone's face from the balcony to the back of the room, made him want to talk about other things. I felt and realized in that very moment his genuine love and acceptance for all of us, his North American students. That statement touched my heart at the core, and it set up an environment for me of continual spiritual bliss which continued throughout that day, and into the following weeks. I felt such warmth, love and deep devotion for him, that I had never expected to feel. For the first time in a very long time, I felt very connected to another person on a deep level. I wept several times throughout the talks from sheer joy and love for him, and in response to his love for us. I am perpetually blessed by the experience, and long for the next time I will be able to see His Holiness in person.

A Devoted Dharma Student in New Mexico

No comments: